February 2018 Meeting Recap
The February meeting of Professional Women of Statesboro met on Wednesday, February 21, at the Holiday Inn.
During this month’s meeting, we welcomed six guests and two new members. Meagan Johnson, president, introduced the member spotlight. This month’s member spotlight was Molly Bickerton, director of admissions at Ogeechee Technical College (OTC). Molly talked about OTC and how technical colleges are no longer trade schools.
Our scheduled programming topic was Sustainability. Mandy Edwards, program chair, introduced Lissa Leege, Ph.D., director for the Center for Sustainability at Georgia Southern. Dr. Leege explained what sustainability is and what Georgia Southern is doing to reduce its carbon footprint.
Our February raffle (two tickets to the Tasting Statesboro The United Way event on March 1) was provided by Carey Melton.
PWS News that was mentioned/discussed:
- Next month’s program will feature Stephanie Sipe, J.D., speaking about “Gender Sidelining and How to Overcome Behaviors that Set Women Back in the Workplace.”
- Valerie Thompson, treasurer, gave the Treasurer’s Report, reminding everyone that dues need to be paid for the discount.
- Christina Young, the head of the Scholarship Committee, updated the members on the scholarship applications. The deadline for scholarship applications is March 12.
- Kate Channell, secretary, passed around the membership directory for updating and collected email addresses of new members to get their info from them. She reminded members to connect with us on Fb and let us know of members being featured in the community for various things so that we can share that info.
Upcoming Networking/Outreach Events:
- Business After Hours: Thursday, March 15, 5-6:30 p.m. at AgSouth, which was in question.
- Molly Bickerton reminded us about Tasting Statesboro event and should anyone want to volunteer to show up on March 1.
- Chocolate Run: Saturday, February 24. Volunteers needed and runners/walkers needed.
- Katie Bigalke was promoted to assistant director/training director for the Counseling Center at Georgia Southern.
- Molly Bickerton was recently assigned to the Keep Bulloch Beautiful Board.
- Cendra Brown started a new job as the director of admissions and marketing at PruittHealth in Swainsboro.
- Happy birthday to Rachel Barnwell.
Do you have news to share with PWS? Email Mindy Fair at firstname.lastname@example.org, and let us know!