The April meeting of Professional Women of Statesboro met on Wednesday, April 19th at the Holiday Inn.
During this month’s meeting, we welcomed four guests and two new members.
Our scheduled speaker was Dr. Patrice Buckner-Jackson, Dean of Students at Georgia Southern University. She shared with us “The Myth of Balanced Time”. Here is some great advice she gave us:
- Value of Time
- We always account for our money, but not our time.
- You have 31,536,000 seconds every year – how are you going to spend them?
- You cannot carry everything at the same time and be successful or okay.
- Figure out your priority of the moment. Take things one at a time. There are times you have to change your priority and not feel guilty about it.
- Governing Values Philosophy (Hyrum W. Smith)
- There is a hierarchy of priorities
- Know your priorities and don’t apologize for it – own it!
- Resolve your conflicts based on those priorities.
- One Stone Philosophy (Dr. Patrice Buckner-Jackson)
- Are there things that work together? Ex: Kill two birds with one stone
- Empty Your Inbox (from Getting Things Done by David Allen)
- First, are you going to worrying about this in 5-10 years?
- Trash -> dump it
- Belongs to someone else -> assign it
- Takes less than 2 minutes -> do it
- Takes more than 2 minutes -> store it
Our April raffle (a $35 gift certificate to 40 East and a $15 gift card to Sonic) was provided by our April member spotlight, Valerie Thompson of Statesboro Real Estate, who shared with us about selling a home.
PWS News that was mentioned/discussed:
- Mentioned member intake form if you have filled it out yet – deadline now April 21 to be included in the digital directory. Fill it out online here.
- Upcoming programs & member spotlights:
- May – Scholarship Luncheon, May 17 at 12pm at Holiday Inn.
- June – Free Spirit Pottery PWS Night, June 15th 6-7pm. $25 canvas painting. Adult beverages included!
- No meeting in July
Upcoming Networking/Outreach Events:
- America’s Best Community Competition Watch Party – 6:30pm that night
- Business After Hours, Thursday, April 20th at Citizen’s Bank
- Light up the Night 5k, Friday, April 21.
- GS ROTC Freedom 5k/10k, Saturday, April 22.
- ArtsFest, Saturday, April 22 at 10am.
- Congratulations to Brandi Waters on her new position at Georgia Southern as a Budget Analyst
- Congratulations to Sherri Edenfield on her wedding!
- Congratulations to Tiffany Gearhart on her recent HR certification!
Below are pictures from the April meeting –
To join our next meeting, please contact us here!
Do you have news to share with PWS? Email Mandy Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know!